Founder of the beautiful, minimalist blog, Mood Blog, Melody Rusk is a Canberra girl who appears as if she is from another time and place entirely. Her style transcends era, location and trend; she is effortlessly chic and fits in to every pocket of fashion as though she has always belonged there.
Whether wearing a mustard yellow dress or denim and a white tee, Melody gets it right every time and her Instagram is a beautiful series of calm, considered, understated elegance. Simply put, we can’t get enough….
What does “style” mean to you?
- My interpretation of ‘style’ is the collection of pieces put together that best express who you are. It is usually timeless, and changes alongside the person.
Summarise your style in 5 words…
- My style has changed quite a bit from when I first started blogging. I have recently gone through a style change from neutral minimalism, which featured mostly grey, black, and white. My style now incorporates colour, patterns and prints. In short, I would describe my style as: chic but edgy, colourful, eclectic, and ever-changing.
Top 3 Items In your wardrobe?
- The top three items in my closet are my:
- Black culottes – I can wear them anywhere and with anything
- Moschino quilted handbag – because when will a black handbag go out of fashion? And,
- Embellished blush satin heels – they’re definitely and occasional pair of shoes, but they’re always the hero of my outfits.
What are you currently lusting after?
- I’m currently lusting after anything velvet. I’m definitely a winter person, and I can’t wait to bring out the velvet tops and blazers once the temperature drops. I am currently lusting after a navy velvet, embellished handbag from ASOS. Link to bag: http://www.asos.com/au/asos/asos-velvet-cross-body-bag-with-bug-pearl-detail/prd/8749625?clr=navy&SearchQuery=&cid=8730&gridcolumn=3&gridrow=1&gridsize=4&pge=1&pgesize=72&totalstyles=16
Who/what inspires your style?
- I find inspiration in a lot of different things including art and movies. However, music probably has the strongest influence over my style. The beat, lyrics and genre play a substantial role in the direction of my style and blog. Music inspires my style as it affects my moods and thinking, which is then replicated in the clothes I choose for the day.
Where can we find you in your spare time?
- Out somewhere emptying a café of their coffee! Or if I’m not there, I’m usually somewhere with my dog, whether it be at the dog park or the lake.
- D Magazine, I love how their photography style is consistently raw and honest. As a magazine, it shows non-conventional beauty, which is something I believe is commonly lost in many magazines.
Heels or flats?
- My go to shoes are sneakers, so I guess flats! Although, I can’t say no to a nice pair of heels whether they be for work or a nice night out.
Dresses or jeans?
- Jeans, the options are endless and they can be worn with anything. Jeans definitely take over my closet, but you can never have too many pairs right?
Leather or denim?
- This is a tough one. There was a time in my life where I would have chosen denim without hesitation, but as I’ve grown up and have realised the challenges that come with wearing leather pants, I’m going to choose denim. Denim jackets, jeans, tops, shoes – a combination of all four if you’re brave enough!
Red lip or nude lip?
- Nude lip for me! I eat way too much and the chances of ruining a red lip are way too high for my liking.
Most stylish space in Canberra?
- It would have to be the Social Club – give me a minimalist interior with blush finishing’s any day!
Ultimate Style Icon?
- The holy Alexa Chung – effortless chic with a ridiculous amount of edge.
Favourite style quote?
- “If you wear things you adore, you just look better.” —Margherita Missoni.
Where can we style stalk you?